Dads don’t always get to control the remote, so when the time comes, we need to be ready. Here are our picks for the best movies and shows coming to Netflix, Amazon Prime and HBO Now this month. (We know it’s December, but we’re mostly skipping the holiday stuff. You’ve seen ’em.)
FAMILY FRIENDLY FLICKS (mostly):
These are great for the whole family. Ideal for that night you come home with the perfect Christmas tree, set it up in the corner, and collectively decide that you’re too tired to decorate it yet.
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs (December 1st)
One of the first in the recent trend of kid’s movies being way funnier than you’d think they could be.
Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle (December 7th)
This movie hasn’t gotten much attention in the wake of the Disney “Live Action” Jungle Book movie, but is directed by motion capture master Andy Serkis, and features Christian Bale, Cate Blanchet, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Serkis himself in a more faithful adaptation of the original Kipling stories.
Voltron Legendary Defender: Season 8 (December 14th)
We’re not going to say it’s as good as the one we watched when we were kids, but it’s not like we’re gonna just…not watch Voltron.
3Below: Tales From Arcadia (December 21st)
Guillermo Del Toro’s second show in set in the Trollhunters universe, about rogue aliens on the run from bounty hunters (awesome). Reasonably sure nobody will fall in love with a fish here, but you just never know with this guy.
Avengers: Infinity War (December 25th)
Disney is planning to snatch all their Marvel and Star Wars movies back for their own streaming service, so check out the ultimate superhero showdown before it’s gone in a….you know…
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (December 1st)
Remember when Raphael said a bad word in the first five minutes, and it was like “whoa, this is different than the cartoon?” Anyway, if you miss the days of rubber suit ninja action, this will probably blow your kids’ minds.
Groundhog Day (December 1st)
“Ok, campers, rise and shine, and don’t forget your booties cause it’s coooooold out there today.”
The Dark Crystal (December 1st)
Jim Henson’s successful attempt to live forever in our nightmares is a family classic, apparently.
The Naked Gun Trilogy (December 1st)
Ok, these are maybe, technically, probably not suitable for kids. Like, at all. But let’s be real, your dad probably showed them to you when you were too young, and it’s those traditions that makes the holidays special.
The Land Before Time (All 2,000 of them available December 1st)
Don Bluth is a legend, and the first adventure of Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Spike, and Petrie is a must-see! The other entries in the series…also exist.
Ready Player One (December 8th)
Every 80s kid’s favorite director made a movie for aughts kids.
The Dad After Dark:
Check out these titles after the kids go to bed. Assuming you are still awake yourself, that is.
The Big Lebowski (December 1st)
Sam Elliot hasn’t aged in 20 years, which is something we’re looking into. Also, you know, this is one of the best comedies ever made, so.
Friday (December 1st)
You know the meme, but have you seen the original? This classic comedy is still leaving it’s mark on pop culture, 23 years later. Don’t believe us? Bye, Felicia.
Terminator Salvation (December 1st)
Is this movie good? Is that really what’s important here? As the entry in the franchise that you probably didn’t pay actual money to go see, it’s the ideal “too tired to pay attention to anything” entertainment choice. Plus, if enough people watch this, maybe they’ll bring back the actually great Sarah Conner Chronicles.
District 9 (December 4th)
The best father/son shrimp monster relationship in movie history.
The American Meme (December 7th)
This might end up being the most fun or most depressing thing you ever watch, depending on your relationship with social media. Great if you need a reminder why it’s good to limit your kids’ screen time.
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale (Available December 14th)
If you are getting some strong Buffy vibes from this take on the Archie comic universe, you’re not alone. In fact, Buffy/Angel star Alexis Denisof is joining the cast for season 2. But first, step back in time with this holiday special that’s sure add some Halloween spirit to the holiday…ahem…solstice season.
Springsteen on Broadway (December 16th)
Oh, is the Boss performing a special Tony Award winning solo show about his relationship with his father? Cool. Cool cool cool. We’re just gonna be chopping some onions over here, don’t mind us.
Theory of Everything (December 16th)
“However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at.” – Stephen Hawking, winner of The Dad’s first-ever Father of the Space Time Continuum Award.
The Game (December 1st)
Before escape rooms were a thing, this David Fincher thriller had Michael Douglas on the run in a maybe real/maybe not race to escape his father’s legacy. It’s the most fun you probably don’t want to actually have.
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 2 (December 5th)
If Tony Shaloub in this series isn’t your Dad Goals inspiration, then what are you even doing?
Hereditary (December 27th)
Here’s the thing. Don’t watch this movie. Is it a well made, wonderfully acted, beautifully shot piece of cinema that tells a compelling story of grief, depression, and the impact parents have on our lives? Yes, absolutely, it’s one of the best films of the year. Do we wish we could burn it from our memory and wash our eyeballs in bleach after seeing it? 100%. Even if you don’t mind gore, and could watch brainless teenagers get off’d at summer camp all day long, trust us. This is not that kind of horror movie. Real talk, parent-to-parent: This movie. Is. Upsetting.
Inception (December 1st)
Leonardo DiCaprio folds a city in half in order to get back to his kids, when they could have just easily come to him, but didn’t because they’re stubborn. One of the most honest stories of fatherhood ever told.
So there you have it! The Dad’s binge watch guide to get your family through the winter. Now, these are just the titles we don’t want you to miss. But if you’ve got vacation time coming up…
The Full List
Here’s all of it!
- 8 Mile
- Astro Boy
- Bride of Chucky
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
- Crossroads: One Two Jaga
- Friday After Next
- Man vs Wild with Sunny Leone, season 1
- Meet Joe Black
- Memories of the Alhambra (streaming every Saturday)
- My Bloody Valentine
- Next Friday
- Reindeer Games
- Seven Pounds
- Shaun of the Dead
- Terminator Salvation
- The Big Lebowski
- The Great British Baking Show: Masterclass, season 5
- The Last Dragon
- The Man Who Knew Too Little
- The Lobster
- Blue Planet II, season 1
- Hero Mask
- The Sound of Your Heart: Reboot, season 2
- District 9
- Happy!, season 1
- 5 Star Christmas
- Bad Blood
- Dogs of Berlin
- Free Rein: The Twelve Neighs of Christmas
- Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle
- Nailed It! Holiday!
- Neo Yokio: Pink Christmas
- Pine Gap
- ReMastered: Who Killed Jam Master Jay?
- Super Monsters and the Wish Star
- The American Meme
- The Hook Up Plan (Plan Coeur)
- The Ranch: Part 6
- Sin senos sí hay paraíso, season 3
- Michael Jackson’s This Is It
- Vir Das: Losing It
- Back Street Girls: Gokudols
- Out of Many, One
- Wanted, season 3
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: A Midwinter’s Tale
- Cuckoo, season 4
- Dance & Sing with True: Songs
- Fuller House, season 4
- Inside the Real Narcos
- Inside the World’s Toughest Prisons, season 3
- Prince of Peoria: A Christmas Moose Miracle
- Sunderland Til I Die
- The Fix
- The Innocent Man
- The Protector
- Travelers, season 3
- Voltron: Legendary Defender, season 8
- Baby Mama
- Kill the Messenger
- One Day
- Springsteen on Broadway
- The Theory of Everything
- Ellen DeGeneres: Relatable
- Terrace House: Opening New Doors: Part 5
- 3Below: Tales of Arcadia
- 7 Days Out
- Back With the Ex
- Bad Seeds
- Bird Box
- Derry Girls
- Greenleaf, season 3
- LAST HOPE: Part 2
- Sirius the Jaeger
- Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski
- Tales by Light, season 3
- The Casketeers
- Wolf (BÖRÜ)
- Watership Down
- Hi Score Girl
- The Magicians, season 3
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, season 11
- Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Infinity War
- Alexa & Katie, season 2
- Instant Hotel
- La noche de 12 años
- Selection Day
- When Angels Sleep
- Yummy Mummies
- The Autopsy of Jane Doe
- The Bill Murray Stories: Life Lessons Learned From a Mythical Man
- A Clockwork Orange
- A Fish Called Wanda
- A Fistful of Dollars (Per un pugno di dollari)
- All the President’s Men
- Bad Girls from Mars
- Because I Said So
- Beverly Hills Vamp
- Blue Hill Avenue
- Boogie Nights
- Bright Lights, Big City
- Event Horizon
- Groundhog Day
- Happily N’Ever After
- Happily N’Ever After 2
- Hitman’s Run
- King of the Mountain
- Line of Duty
- Livin’ by the Gun
- Margin Call
- Mars Attacks!
- Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult
- Ordinary People
- Promised Land
- Silent Tongue
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- The Black Stallion
- The Dark Crystal
- The Firm
- The Game
- The Godson
- The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear
- The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
- Ulee’s Gold
- Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins
- Wild Wild West
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, season 2
- Why Did I Get Married Too?
- Before I Fall
- LOL: Last One Laughing, season 1
- 4 Blocks, season 2
- Life of Crime, Mini-series
- Evan Almighty
- A Most Wanted Man
- Life Itself
- Vanity Fair, season 1
- Iron Man 2
- Niko and the Sword of Light, season 2
- An Innocent Man
- The Best Man
- The Book of Eli
- Dawn of the Dead
- George A Romero’s Land of the Dead
- Get Him to the Greek
- Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
- The Hangover
- He’s Just Not That Into You
- The Land Before Time
- The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure
- The Land Before Time III: The Time of the Great Giving
- The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists
- The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island
- The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock
- The Land Before Time VII: Stone of Cold Fire
- The Land Before Time VIII: The Big Freeze
- The Land Before Time IX: Journey to Big Water
- The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration
- Legend of the Guardians The Owls of Ga’Hoole
- Light It Up
- Lost River
- Mi tesoro (aka My Treasure)
- Vida en Marte (aka Life on Mars)
- Camping, season 1 finale
- Say Her Name: The Life and Death of Sandra Bland
- HBO First Look: Mortal Engines
- Ice Box
- Ready Player One
- Vice Special Report: The Panic Artists
- My Brilliant Friend, season 1 finale
- My True Brilliant Friend
- Momentum Generation
- Room 104, season 2 finale
- High & Mighty
- Vice, season 6 finale
- Pete Holmes: Dirty Clean
- Magnifica, season 3 finale
- Bleed Out
- En El Septimo Dia (aka On the Seventh Day)
- Isle of Dogs
- Sally4Ever, season 1 finale
So, now it should be easy to make a decision, right?