When 19-year old Minnesota man Kobe Sammons drove 500 miles to visit his family in Nebraska he thought he was leaving the heat from his welding job behind. When he arrived he told to his father, Jeremy, that his ride just wasn’t running right. So his dad hopped in the truck and the two went for a drive in hopes of discovering what the problem was.
A short while later they pulled over when Jeremy noticed smoke had entered the cabin of the truck. The smoke quickly turned to heat and it became apparent the engine compartment was on fire.
That’s when both men attempted to open their doors but they would not unlock.
The father wondered if this would be their final moments together.
“I told him he would have to break the glass or kick the door open. I couldn’t help him.” the elder Sammons told News Channel Nebraska.
But eventually Kobe was able to kick the door open.
“It was in those moments. Just when it had to open, the door opened.” Kobe’s dad said.
By the time firefighters arrived the truck was completely engulfed in flames. Authorities on the scene considered that the fire may have caused the doors’ unlocking mechanism to malfunction.
The truck can easily be replaced, the important thing is that this father and son duo escaped unharmed.