It was pretty ballsy if you ask me. Merely taking on the task of adapting Dune, a sprawling, intricate, weird AF sci-fi epic that already had its shot at blockbuster status fail spectacularly in the 80s is challenging enough.
Adapting that same book by splitting it into two parts, not quite making it clear that the first movie wasn’t self-contained, and then releasing it without there even being a confirmed green light for the second half? Wow. That could have backfired in a major way.
Luckily for Warner Bros, Denis Villeneuve, Timothee Chalamet, and the rest of the huge cast, they don’t have to worry about that. Dune performed quite well when it opened last weekend, and now everyone who loved it can rejoice that there will indeed be a part 2.
Legendary Entertainment, not Warner Bros., who are merely distributing the Legendary production, held the keys to the sequel, and today they officially announced that Dune 2: How You Dune? has been greenlit.
This is only the beginning…
— Legendary (@Legendary) October 26, 2021
Villeneuve’s big-budget adaptation made $41 million over the weekend (and $225 globally), WB’s biggest opening of the year, despite the fact that you can watch it on HBO Max right now. But if any movie demands a big screen, it’s this one, with huge sandy landscapes, enormous spaceships, and a truly epic scope that will continue in the second film, set to be released in 2023.
“I wanted at the beginning to do the two parts simultaneously,” the director said earlier this year “For several reasons, it didn’t happen, and I agreed to the challenge of making part one and then wait to see if the movie rings enough enthusiasm… As I was doing the first part, I really put all my passion into it, in case it would be the only one. But I’m optimistic.”
No casting has been announced for the new movie, but much of the cast have said they’d be down to return. And one presumes stars Timothee Chalamet and Zendaya are locked in.
It was definitely a risk, and thankfully it worked out. Bring on the sand! (Sorry, Anakin.)