After everyone celebrated the new year and as we rounded into 2020, one part of the world was dealing with a devastating catastrophe. The bushfires down in Australia are consuming the country, and the images coming out from the island continent are harrowing, tragic, and impossible to ignore.
25 people have died, along with nearly a billion mammals, birds, and reptiles, not to mention the millions of acres, including homes and businesses, as the fires continue to rage across New South Wales and Victoria.
Across social media, inhabitants of Australia are pleading with followers to do whatever they can to help, sharing mind-blowing photos of the scorched landscape. Among those reaching out are various celebrities, both inside and outside of the country, like, Pink, who pledged to donate money to help, and now Thor himself is making the call.
Chris Hemsworth, who stars as the Asgardian god in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, posted a video to his Instagram account in which he asked his fans and followers to assist. He has already donated $1 million and is asking for others to give what they can.
“Hey there guys, as you’re well aware the bushfires in Australia have caused massive devastation,” the 36-year-old actor said on Monday. “They continue to burn, there’s warmer weather on its way, we’re really still in the thick of it here, as is plenty of challenging times ahead still to come.”
He explained that no sum is too small, and every little bit helps.
“So, what we need is your support and your donations. That money goes directly to the firefighters, the people on the front lines, the people who have suffered, the communities that have taken a hit and are in desperate need for our support.” More than 130 fires continue to burn, and there is no end in sight as the warmer months approach.
See his video plea now:
View this post on Instagram
Hi everyone. Like you, I want to support the fight against the bushfires here in Australia. My family and I are contributing a million dollars. Hopefully you guys can chip in too. Every penny counts so whatever you can muster up is greatly appreciated. In my bio I’ve added links to support the fire fighters, organisations and charities who are working flat out to provide support and relief during this devastating and challenging time. Beyond appreciative to everyone around the world for their well wishes and donations. It really does make a difference, so dig deep! Love ya.
Here are some ways you can help:
- Donate to the Australian Red Cross, which is supporting thousands of people in evacuation and recovery centers across the country. Local residents can volunteer their services.
- Donate to the Salvation Army Australia, which is providing meals and support to evacuees and first responders in multiple locations.
- Extra room in your home? Offer to host people in need of emergency housing on AirBnB.
- Donate to the St. Vincent de Paul Society, which is helping evacuated families recover. The organization is providing food and clothing, helping cover bills, and donating household items to those whose homes have been destroyed.
- Donate food, funds or services to Foodbank, the largest hunger-relief charity in Australia.
- Donate to a GoFundMe dedicated to displaced First Nations Communities that need to rebuild.
- Donate food, toiletries and household items using Givit.